Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lemon Berry Cupcakes: Trial 1

My mom recently brought home a bunch of different berries from our local produce store, so I put it into my head that I wanted to use them in cupcakes.  Kind of a muffin/cupcake hybrid-why not?

Unfortunately, these bad boys didn't come out as I had hoped.  This is where I need your help!

I started with a box of lemon cake mix.  Whenever I bake with berries, I feel compelled to use lemon flavoring.  I blended the mix according to the directions, then moved on to work with the berries.

After finding out that we didn't have any blueberries, I used 1/2 cup of blackberries and 1/2 cup of raspberries.  (In hindsight, I might either only use raspberries or strain the blackberries after they've been blended.  Blackberry seeds are a bit much for me in a fluffy cupcake.)  After running the food processor with just the berries, I realized that there wasn't enough in there for the blades to kick up.  On the fly, I added some corn syrup (maybe 1/3 cup,) about 3 tbsp. white sugar.  This still didn't do it.  I didn't want to use water.  I contemplated adding some of the batter in, but I knew that I wanted to use some of the berry blend as a drizzle.  So, naturally, I grabbed the vanilla vodka.

As for concocting these things in the pan, I started with a couple spoonfuls of batter in each cup or about halfway filled.  Then I added in a teaspoon of berry mixture and swirled it in with a toothpick.  I wanted some berry goodness in the center, so I added an extra teaspoon in the center (**this is where I need help! Look for my question at the bottom!)


I covered this work with another couple spoonfuls of batter then popped them in the oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes.  (I had leftover batter after making this dozen.)


Mmm...  I let them cool a bit then removed them all from the pan to cool further, all on a wire rack.  I got anxious and wanted to see how it turned out...but, and here's the problem, the extra dollop of berry mix fell to the bottom!  :(  You can see this in the next photo where I left the wrapper in the shot.


I iced them using the butter cream recipe then drizzled the leftover berry mixture on top.  Okay... I had problems drizzling so I basically flicked the berries at the cupcakes making a gigantic mess.  The stovetop was the ultimate loser in this battle.

But they still turned out super yummy!


So, let's see if I can get some help on this.  Was it that I used alcohol in the berry mixture?  Should I bake the bottom for a little to stiffen it up then add the extra dollop?  Or will I just have to swirl it all in?  I would love any and all feedback that you can give me!  Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. just a guess,but too much liquid(berries are mostly water,vodka,syrup) and not enough dry mixture to bind all the berry mixture together.You might need to increase your dry ingredients and decrease the liquids in order to prevent a berry fall-out-sort of like what you have to do with a chocolate explosion cake...keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! I guess I figured that since the batter was thicker that the berry "liquid" would just stay put... I will definitely be taking that into consideration for next time. I'm still learning when it comes to ingredient properties.

    Thanks again and keep the comments coming!

    ReplyDelete